Current:Home > MarketsA New Jersey Democratic power broker pleads not guilty to state racketeering charges -TradeWisdom
A New Jersey Democratic power broker pleads not guilty to state racketeering charges
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 12:16:14
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — The New Jersey Democratic power broker charged with racketeering by the state attorney general pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges he threatened people whose properties he sought to take over and orchestrated tax incentive legislation to benefit organizations he controlled.
George E. Norcross III and four other co-defendants appeared in state Superior Court in Mercer County to enter their pleas in response to Attorney General Matt Platkin’s criminal charges unsealed last month. They all pleaded not guilty.
“My client emphatically states that he is not guilty,” Norcoss’ attorney Michael Critchley told Judge Peter Warshaw.
A sixth co-defendant sent a letter to the judge saying his lawyer is currently involved in another trial and hasn’t entered a plea yet, Warshaw said.
The charges, brought by a Democratic attorney general, against a longtime influential Democrat put the state’s dominant political party under scrutiny in an election year and as the state’s senior U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez is on trial in New York on unrelated federal bribery charges.
In a sign of how contentious the trial could be, the prosecutors and defense attorneys went back and forth Tuesday over nearly 14,000 pages of documents the state has yet to turn over to the defendants as required under the rules. The attorney general’s office sought to subject those documents to an order barring their distribution to third parties, like the news media, while the defense argued there shouldn’t be any such order.
The judge pushed the parties to agree to a temporary order barring the release of those records through Sept. 9 while the parties sort out what should be kept from third parties and what could be passed along.
“You can only imagine my enthusiasm for having to serve as a referee for what if any of this discovery should be subjected to a protective order,” Warshaw said.
Among the items prosecutors have already mentioned in the indictment are recordings, including a profanity-laden call of Nocross in which he tells a developer he’ll face “enormous consequences.” The person asks if Norcross is threatening him, and Norcross responds, “Absolutely,” according to the indictment.
Defense attorneys said Tuesday they planned to challenge the apparent wiretaps that led to those recordings.
Norcross is charged with operating a criminal enterprise over more than a decade, starting in 2012, in which he threatened property owners whose land he sought to acquire, used Camden, New Jersey, city government to acquire land and tailored legislation for tax incentives that benefited companies he controlled. Those allegations have been the subject of investigations for years, with Norcross denying any wrongdoing and praising the good his investments did for the economically hard-up city of Camden, across the Delaware River from Philadelphia.
He’s said the prosecution was politically motivated and without merit. He angrily denounced the charges the day they were unsealed and sat in the front row at the attorney general’s news conference.
Norcross is a wealthy executive of an insurance firm and, until 2021, a Democratic National Committee member who also contributed financially to state and national Democrats. He’s since moved to Palm Beach, Florida, where he had been listed before as a member of Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club.
He’s long been a boogeyman of many progressive New Jersey Democrats, who saw him as enriching himself while poorer residents languished.
A longtime kingmaker in southern New Jersey, Norcross often wielded influence through back channels. An old friend of the former Senate president and current gubernatorial candidate Steve Sweeney, Norcross played a key role in getting economic tax incentive legislation passed in 2013. His brothers are lobbyist and co-defendant Philip Norcross — who pleaded not guilty on Tuesday as well — and U.S. Rep. Donald Norcross, a former state legislator who is not charged.
In addition to the Norcross brothers pleading not guilty, attorney William M. Tambussi; Camden Community Partnership chief executive and former Camden Mayor Dana L. Redd; and development company executive John J. O’Donnell have pleaded not guilty.
Sidney R. Brown, chief executive of trucking and logistics company NFI, was not in court as his attorney is representing a co-defendant in the Menendez trial in New York, according to the judge.
veryGood! (427)
Related
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Student shot during fight at Georgia high school, sheriff says
- New Jersey OKs slightly better settlement over polluted land where childhood cancer cases rose
- Why JoJo Siwa Is Planning to Have Kids Sooner Than You Think
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Power company was 'substantial factor' in devastating Maui wildfires, lawsuit alleges
- US attorney pleads with young men in New Mexico’s largest city: Stop the shooting
- 'Means the world': Pink responds to being first female stadium headliner in Wisconsin
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Transportation disaster closes schools, leaves students stranded in Louisville, Kentucky
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Christine Tran Ferguson Pens Heartbreaking Update on Her Grief Journey One Month After Son’s Death
- Trouble in paradise? AP data analysis shows fires, other disasters are increasing in Hawaii
- Niger coup leaders say they'll prosecute President Bazoum for high treason
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Dottie Fideli went viral when she married herself. There's much more to her story.
- After Maui's deadly fires, one doctor hits the road to help those in need
- Entire police department in small Minnesota city resigns, citing low pay
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
New gun analysis determines Alec Baldwin pulled trigger in 'Rust' shooting, prosecutors say
Kendall Jenner Shares Insight Into Her Dating Philosophy Amid Bad Bunny Romance
Sophie Turner Wears Matching PJs With “Handsome” Husband Joe Jonas in Birthday Tribute
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Amid record-breaking heat, Arizona wildlife relies on trucked-in water to survive summer
The number of electric vehicle charging stations has grown. But drivers are dissatisfied.
Arkansas school district says it will continue offering AP African American Studies course
Tags
Like
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- New Jersey OKs slightly better settlement over polluted land where childhood cancer cases rose
- Trump and allies face racketeering charges in Georgia — here's what to know about sentencing for RICO convictions